Friday 30 March 2018

Dinner and Karaoke

Friday, 30 March 2018

Good Friday is a public holiday in Singapore.  Religion in Singapore is characterized by a diversity of religious beliefs and practices due to its diverse ethnic mix of peoples originating from various countries.  A 2014 analysis by the Pew Research Center found Singapore to be the world's most religiously diverse nation.  Although Christianity only comprises 18% of the population, Good Friday is a religious public holiday because each major religion receives two public holidays on the federal calendar.  So there was no school today.  I spent the day catching up on school emails, emailing schools in Australia to try and visit, and working on my inquiry project.  For dinner, I met up with Katie and Carrie near Katie's apartment.  We got Indian food at the nearby hawker center and then went to a karaoke bar across the street.  It was a bizarre experience as the majority of people singing were women in ball gowns with pageant-type numbers pinned to them.  If they sang well, someone in the audience could buy them a sash for $50.  Also, they were all singing in Chinese.  We put in some English song requests (Katie and Carrie sang).  I didn't sing.  Not because I don't love karaoke, but everyone here was legit a great singer (Katie and Carrie included), and I didn't think it would be appreciated if I requested Blink 182, Taking Back Sunday, or Janis Joplin (my go to karaoke options). I prefer playing bar dice (still not sure how it say it in Mandarin).






No comments:

Post a Comment