Thursday 8 March 2018

Dinner with Edwin and friends & Tess' Birthday

Saturday-Thursday, 3-8 March 2018

Saturday, 3 March
Bren and I went to brunch at Pacamara Boutique Coffe on the corner of the street we live off of.  When we moved to Singapore, I was not a fan of the very sugary, milky, weak coffee that was sold at most hawker stands.  You can get good coffee (like the type of coffee I am used to), but it's expensive ($6) and not as common to find.  Pacamara is not a cheap breakfast, but if you want to feel like you're in a Brooklyn cafe drinking fancy coffee and eating avocado toast and poached eggs, it does the trick.






















It was rainy for most of the afternoon so I caught up on some work (reading, researching, writing), emails from school, and postcards to friends and family.  Ready to send off the next batch of postcards.  Let me know if you want one!


Saturday evening I went and met Katie, Carrie, and Edwin (Singaporean who did the Fulbright DAT program in the USA Fall of 2017), his wife Kelly, and two of their friends.  I finally tried the famous Singaporean spicy chili crab dish.  It was good, but I'm not sure I feel the need to order it again.  It was a good dish to share with others though because the crab was pretty big.  It was fun to see Edwin, meet his wife and friends, and hear about their experiences in the USA this past fall.  




Sunday, 4 March
Last month at the Julie Byrne concert, I met an American girl named Tess who moved to Singapore with her boyfriend Luca about 9 months ago.  We exchanged phone numbers though and had texted about meeting up again.  She kindly invited Katie and I to her birthday, pool party cook-out at their apartment.  I didn't know anyone but Tess and Katie, but it was fun meeting new people.  Many of the friends she has made here were from other countries (Germany, Australia, USA, the Philippines) as well so it was interesting to talk with people about their experiences moving to Singapore.  


Tuesday - Thursday, 6-8 March
Tuesday morning and afternoon I spent at school, and then headed straight from school to my grad school class from 6-9pm.  Today was Tess' actual 29th birthday though so I met up with her, her friend Laura (German girl who I met Saturday at the cook-out) and Laura's roommate who was from London.  We had such a nice time at a rooftop bar in a neighborhood I had not previously explored.


I checked the mailbox when I got home and had a note card and coloring pictures from Marjorie!  Getting snail mail is the best!  I have all the letters from when I lived in England and New York and love looking back and reading them.


On Wednesday evening, we did some laundry (see hang dry picture below) and I got to FaceTime with Anna and Danielle for a long time and it was the best--I sure do miss our friends and family!























At my first school I learned about a problem-solving course they offered their first year express students and was interested in learning more to inform my inquiry project.  On Thursday, at my second attachment school, I got to observe the same problem-solving course (with the same problem being worked on by students) so it was a great comparison observation to my first school.





















On my walk from school to the MRT, I took a picture of this vine growing through the fencing.  Singapore is known as the "city within a garden" and Bren and I have a theory that if the government landscaping jobs were done away with this city would turn into a jungle within a matter of weeks.  Like Jumanji style.  And I feel like this is proof.


No comments:

Post a Comment