Wednesday 28 February 2018

First day at 2nd school, Singapore Zoo and Night Safari

Monday-Wednesday 26-28 February 2018

Today was my first day at my second attachment school and I'm excited to spend the next 6 weeks here.  I got up around 5am this morning to meet Shirley at the MRT station and head to the school early enough to have a tour before the morning opening assembly.  One of the things I have noticed in both the schools I've been at are how present the school values are all over the building--on the walls, on school sponsored clothing, in the school information brochures--the values are clearly embedded in the school cutlure and visually apparent throughout the building.     


 

After spending the morning learning more about the school and meeting with the math department lead to plan out my schedule and time at the school, I headed out to meet up with Bren, Maureen and Daniel at our apartment.  We decided to go to the Singapore Zoo and Night Safari.  The zoo was unlike any zoo I've been to before.  Although I love going to the zoo, it often is sad to see the animals caged up and look so lethargic.  The animals at the Singapore Zoo were all so active though and many were in "flexible" cages.  For example, the monekys were out and about throughout the zoo and did not have to remain in any cages.  Other animals had large habitats that rather than having a fence would have a mote or metal cage walkway that they wouldn't cross over.  My favorite part of the zoo was feeding the elephants bananas!







We also took a group picture with an orangutan!


During the fall of 2006, during our senior year in high school, Maureen, Courtney, Melissa, Rebecca and I went to the Atlanta Zoo.  Maureen and I took a picture back then next to a sign that said "Can you jump like a kangaroo?"  When we saw a sign of a kangaroo at the Singapore Zoo, we simultaneously said, let's redo that jumping photo!  Almost 12 years have pasted between the bottom and top photo, and so thankful to still be best friends and able to jump as high as I could in high school haha.


The Singapore Night Safari is a nocturnal wildlife park.  It was a cool experience to see the animals that are generally sleeping at the zoo, up and about at night. 



On Tuesday Maureen, Daniel and Bren did things together (explored Gardens By the Bay and city sites) while I was at my attachment school and then grad school class.  On Wednesday, I went into school for the morning and then was able to leave and get sushi for lunch with Mo, Daniel and Bren.  Maureen and Daniel are heading off to Thailand for the next week before heading back to Atlanta.  It was so fun to have them visit, and I'm thankful they decided to add visiting us in Singapore to their traveling list!


No comments:

Post a Comment