Wednesday 21 February 2018

River Otters and getting lost on a jungle run

Tuesday/Wednesday 20/21 February 2018

Almost every evening now Bren and I go for a run through either MacRitchie Reservior (10K cross-country/trail loop) or the Ang Mo Kio-Bishan park which has a variety of paved paths we can run.  Two runs this week were quite eventful.  The first was in Ang Mo Kio-Bishan park.  I wasn't going into school until the afternoon classes and after school CCAs (co-curricular activities) so I decided to run in the morning.  As I was running by the river that flows through the park, I noticed people looking over the railing down into the river bed.  So I walked over to the railing as well and got to see this cute otter family making its way up stream!  I mostly took videos, but here are some of the photos:


 
I mailed off the first set of postcards today too.  I bought more stamps afterwards at the post office and this time the lady gave me "airmail" stickers.  The first set of postcards didn't have airmail stickers so it may take 3-17 weeks to arrive by land or sea :)
 


On my way to grad school class on Tuesday evening, I stopped by the Botanic Gardens to buy a few more postcards (I read they had some pretty ones).  I don't know if I'll ever stop being mesmerized by all the jungle roosters, plants and flowers. 
 
 


 
Tuesday night when I got home from class, Sarah Marco and I FaceTimed!  It was just what I needed--she is the best!
 


On Wednesday after school, Bren and I went on a run through MacRitchie Reservior.  We decided to run it clockwise instead of counterclockwise like we usually do.  I have the worst sense of direction, but I thought I that it was only a few fork (precisely 2 hah) so I should be able to handle it.  Well Bren was a bit ahead of me and I got to the first fork in the trail and went the wrong way.  I knew I wasn't really sure which way to go but I couldn't see Bren ahead anymore and picked a direction.  It was the wrong direction.  And I didn't really realize it until I was too far to turn around.  It was getting darker and the jungle noises were getting louder.  I come across an Asutralian couple and asked them for some directions to the nearest way out of the park and onto a road I could catch a bus.  Bren called me back and was also still on the trail.  It was legit a bit scary because I could hear, but not see monkeys and boards around me.  When I made it to the road, I got off the phone with Bren who had made it to the edge of the jungle at that point too.  I really do have the worst sense of direction and had ran about 5 miles in the opposite direction of our apartment.  So I took a 40 minute MRT (two trains) ride home haha.  Maybe next time I'll turn the right way...no gurantees though.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment