Friday 9 February 2018

Julie Bryne show!

Friday, 9 February 2018

A few weeks ago, Bren noticed that one of our favorite singer, songwriters, Julie Byrne was touring Southeast Asia and specifically coming to Singapore!  We were very excited because we listened to her album, Not Even Happiness so, so many times in 2017.  It was one of my favorite albums of the year, and it was quite random to see that she was playing in Singapore.  I may be wrong, but I don't know if she has even ever played a show in Atlanta.  Naturally we bought tickets immediately, which were very inexpensive.  The show was in a warehouse building in Geylang.  It was BYOB so we met up with Katie, bought some beers at 7-11, and headed toward the address.  There was no signage, but we sort of followed someone else that looked like they maybe going to the show and introduced ourselves in the elevator.  Her name was Tess and we wound up talking some once inside the venue and exchanged phone numbers (I may have made a friend haha).  The show was amazing!  We are having a great time in Singapore, and I am learning so much, and we are exploring every weekend.  But some days I miss home and hanging out with our friends and family.  So this show was perfect for my spirits.  She has such a haunting voice and nature-themed lyrics, and it was just what I needed to feel a real sense of peace.  There were probably only 30 people or so at the show so we got to talk to her and her boyfriend for a while after she played her set and suggested a few restaurants they try for a late night meal.  We had a really nice time :)   And Tess texted me about some events she is going to over the next few weeks so I think I really did make a friend to hang out with here.
























After the show, Katie, Bren and I went to a local bar, Sara's that's across the street from our apartment building.  It was a fun neighborhood, dive bar.  The bartenders were all really nice and taught us how to play a betting dice game that was a lot of fun!  It was the latest I've stayed up since we've been in Singapore (besides the jeglag nights the first week). 

No comments:

Post a Comment